Glasses arranged for the tasting
Paul Speck of Henry of Pelham
Named after their loyalist American forebearer, Henry of Pelham is a family estate on the Niagra escarpment, currently run by the brothers Speck. Paul Speck, the eldest, conducted a tasting at Willow Park Wines and Spirits of some of his family's wines.
1. Sibling Rivalry (greeted guests at the tasting) - "I love rose. In the South of France whhen its hot they drink rose. Strawberry on the nose finished dry with fruit."
2. Cuvee Catherine Brut - "Sparkling wine is perfect in Niagra. This is picked by hand and made from only the middle pressing of the grape. Fresh nose, dry crisp."
3. Reserve Riesling - "Riesling is one of my favourite grapes.Smells of lemon lime - typical of Riesling grown in our area. There is a steeliness a minerality bit of oiliness with a touch of sweetness."
4. Chardonnay - "This is a staple in Niagra. I still love chardonnay I don't care what they say. It is a winemaker's grape."
5. Baco Noir - "People love it. It has a similar history to Syrah and Zinfandel. All Baco is not created equally. It gets its colour from its flesh. Licorice coffee, toast fro wood. It is the backwoods beast or as my brother says it's like spraying perfume on John Wayne."
6. Cabernet Merlot - "This has more structure to its. These varities are best together."
7. Icewine Riesling - "This is a nice way to end. It has an elegance, a finesse. If icewine doesn't have balance its like candy or overripe fruit. This will age for decades. Peach and citrus orange peel nose. Lots of fruit but searing acitidity."
You may visit the NEW Spring 2012 digital edition of City Style and Living magazine (also available in print) at the following address (follow the three simple steps to access the full magazine, online) :
1) go to http://www.citystyleandliving.com
2) click on the 'front cover' image, on the left hand side of your screen
3) to flip through the e-magazine, click on the bottom right hand corner
of the magazine, just as you would our print magazine!
Follow us on twitter @CityStyleMag