Nothing says “summer” like a BBQ with family and friends! There's just one little rub - the hassle of charcoal. Enter the BIC™ FlameDisk® a portable, outdoor grilling solution. It looks like a disposable metal cooking container with holes but uses ethanol (from corn) as the main fuel ingredient. It is easy to use simply peel off the film cover exposing the holes, light the fuel through any one of the outer holes and then grill. It saves time and chef Rob Rossi, 2011 Top Chef Canada contestant and owner of new Toronto restaurant, Bestellen agrees."While I’m inspired every day to create and cook for my customers, I’m a big fan of barbecuing; it’s such an authentic and fun way to cook and provides a form of entertainment which is relaxed and casual with very little clean-up. Whether you’re camping, boating, day tripping, urban BBQing, or looking for a family gathering on a moment’s notice, the BIC™ FlameDisk® is a quick and convenient outdoor barbequing solution!”
Check out some recipes that Chef Rossi created with the BIC™ FlameDisk® in mind:
Smoky Spanish Style Steak Marinade
1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 ounce olive oil
½ lemon, juiced
1. Measure out all dry ingredients and place into a medium sized bowl.
2. Using a chef’s knife, chop garlic until minced fine. Add garlic to dry ingredients.
3. Juice lemon into bowl.
4. Pick thyme off stems, chop roughly.
5. To finish marinade drizzle olive oil into dry ingredients while combing with a whisk.
6. Once marinade is done place meat into a bowl and coat the meat generously. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Grilled Sweet Peppers
3 sweet red peppers
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place sweet peppers onto grill grate over BIC™ FlameDisk®; cook until blistered and soft.
2. Set peppers aside to cool. Once cool, peel and seed peppers by removing stem and skins.
3. Place peppers into medium sized bowl and combine with sherry vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and maple syrup.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Finish with chopped basil.
Recipes courtesy of Chef Rob Rossi, BIC™ FlameDisk® spokesperson
ALL PHOTOGRAPHY COPYRIGHT K&S MEDIA 2012
1) go to http://www.citystyleandliving.com
2) click on the 'front cover' image, on the left hand side of your screen
3) to flip through the e-magazine, click on the bottom right hand corner
of the magazine, just as you would our print magazine!
Follow us on twitter @CityStyleMag