Knowledge is power and that’s why Alyson Schafer, leading parenting expert, is dedicating World Meningitis Day – April 24, to educating parents on the important facts on meningitis.
A recent survey shows that 88% of moms admit not being knowledgeable about meningitis.
Top five things parents need to know about meningitis:
· Meningitis is caused by an inflammation of the lining around the brain and spinal cord - caused by viral or bacterial infections. Bacterial meningitis is the most serious and caused by five different strains.
· Of those who develop bacterial meningitis, one in four die within 48 hours and half of them are younger than five years of age.
· Bacterial meningitis can be spread through simple contact like sharing toys or water bottles, as easily as a cold or flu.
· Symptoms of bacterial meningitis mimic flu-like symptoms including fever, nausea, headache, general discomfort, neck pain and vomiting.
· Canada has vaccines to prevent most forms of bacterial meningitis, except for the most common group, meningitis B.
It is important that all parents know about the disease and talk to their doctor or healthcare professional. A great source of information is the website www.meninfo.ca, all parents should visit and learn more about this devastating disease.
You may visit the NEW Spring 2012 digital edition of City Style and Living magazine (also available in print) at the following address (follow the three simple steps to access the full magazine, online) :
1) go to http://www.citystyleandliving.com
2) click on the 'front cover' image, on the left hand side of your screen
3) to flip through the e-magazine, click on the bottom right hand corner
of the magazine, just as you would our print magazine!
Follow us on twitter @CityStyleMag